Monday, June 2, 2008

Marinda's Biography

I had just been accepted to the graduate school of Social Work and on my way to fulfilling my desire of serving the Arlington community. Little did I know that all that was about to change!

I had been teaching exercise classes for many years with the goal of promoting health and wellness. I had especially developed a strong liking to yoga and had many students participating in my classes. I told them that I would not be teaching them anymore since I was going back to school full time. They were disappointed, my Indian students in particular, and asked me to reconsider my decision. That was ten years ago and before I met Guruji!

The Indians believe that your teacher (Guru) will come into your life when the time comes. That was absolutely true, at least in my case. The meeting was unexpected and changed the direction of my life completely. I met Guruji through Kumar at his home in Arlington.

When I entered Guruji’s presence I realized instantly that I had found what I had been missing in my life until then - a teacher! Clad in a dazzling white robe which was in stark contrast to his flowing black beard, Guruji strode into the room twirling my business card Movement by Marinda in his hands. His warm smile and soothing words chased away all my anxieties and I knew then that I was in the presence of a true yogi dedicated the real yoga and self realization!

We meditated for a few minutes and then he asked me what my job here was in this world. I said to help others. I explained how I would do that through social work. Guruji listened attentively and then told me the truth – that yoga is the best way to help everyone. He advised me to open a yoga center right away. There was nothing I wanted to do more, but how? Seeing my diffidence, Guruji laughed and said not to worry and that it will happen if I agreed to doing it and I said yes and Arlington Yoga Center was born. The rest is history. Arlington Yoga Center has contributed to the happiness and spiritual well being of so many people. Many yoga students who trained at AYC and are now teachers themselves, helping spread yoga all over Texas.

Guruji is like a father to me. He has blessed me with his unconditional love which has allowed me to live a meaningful life and help so many along the path. With the blessings of the Guru all things are possible.
Marinda Hollar

No comments: